World

Israel and Lebanon agree to extend ceasefire, US state department says

President Trump announced the truce last month, but Israel and Hezbollah have continued to exchange fire since then.

Published May 15, 2026, 6:34 PM
Updated May 22, 2026, 12:58 AM330
Share𝕏f
Israel and Lebanon agree to extend ceasefire, US state department says

Brandon Drenon

BBC 'Breaking' graphicBBC

Israel and Lebanon have agreed a 45-day extension to a shaky ceasefire, following two days of negotiations in Washington DC, the US state department said.

"We hope these discussions will advance lasting peace between the two countries, full recognition of each other's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and establishing genuine security along their shared border," said state departmnert spokesman Tommy Pigott.

US President Donald Trump announced the truce last month, but Israel and Hezbollah have continued to exchange fire since then.

On Wednesday, Lebanon's health ministry said Israeli air strikes had killed 22 people, including eight children, across the south on Wednesday.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

Share𝕏f
News17 is committed to delivering accurate, fair, and thoroughly researched reporting. If you believe this article contains an error, please contact our editorial team at corrections@news17.net. We take all reports seriously and will issue corrections promptly when warranted.