World

Passengers held on cruise ship in France after gastroenteritis outbreak

The ship set sail from Belfast on Friday and is currently at a port in Bordeaux.

Published May 13, 2026, 11:55 AM
Updated May 18, 2026, 9:25 PM4.5K
Share𝕏f
Passengers held on cruise ship in France after gastroenteritis outbreak

BBC Breaking NewsBBC

Passengers are being held on a UK-operated cruise ship in France after 49 people fell ill with gastroenteritis.

Local authorities in Bordeaux said three passengers had been isolated in their cabins on the Ambition, while other passengers will not be able to disembark in the port.

The cruise ship set sail from Belfast on 8 May, before heading to Liverpool the next day.

Ambassador Cruise Line told the BBC in a statement that enhanced sanitation and prevention protocols had been implemented across the ship "in line with established public health procedures following the initial reports of illness".

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

Share𝕏f
News17 is committed to delivering accurate, fair, and thoroughly researched reporting. If you believe this article contains an error, please contact our editorial team at corrections@news17.net. We take all reports seriously and will issue corrections promptly when warranted.