World

UAE reports drone strike near Abu Dhabi nuclear power plant

The country is investigating the source of the strike, which it says came from its western border.

Published May 17, 2026, 3:52 PM
Updated May 23, 2026, 5:58 PM3.0K
Share𝕏f
UAE reports drone strike near Abu Dhabi nuclear power plant

Ella Kipling

AFP A large sand-coloured building in the UAE called the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant. In the centre is a large dome while rectangular shaped sections of the building lie to the left, right, and in front of the dome. The sky behind is blue with a few white clouds.AFP

The drone strikes hit near the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Abu Dhabi, officials said (file photo)

The United Arab Emirates is investigating the source of a drone strike which triggered a fire near a nuclear power station, officials have said.

The country's defence ministry said three drones had entered the UAE from the "western border direction" on Sunday.

While two were intercepted, the third drone struck an electrical generator "outside the inner perimeter" of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in Abu Dhabi.

No injuries were reported and there was no impact on radiological safety levels, local authorities said.

The country's defence ministry said in a statement that investigations were under way "to determine the source of the attacks".

It added that it remained "fully prepared and ready to address any threats and will firmly confront any attempts to undermine the country's security".

The Abu Dhabi Media Office said the fire "broke out in an electric generator" and confirmed precautionary measures had been taken at the plant.

It said: "The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed that the fire did not affect the safety of the power plant or the readiness of its essential systems, and that all units are operating as normal."

The UN's nuclear watchdog said it was monitoring the situation closely and that its director general Rafael Grossi expressed "grave concern" about the incident.

Grossi said "military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable", according to a statement shared by the International Atomic Energy Agency on X, and called for "maximum military restraint" near nuclear power plants.

The UAE has not said from where the drone was launched. It has previously accused Iran of being behind attacks on its energy and economic infrastructure since war broke out in the region in February.

Tehran began launching strikes across the region in retaliation to the US and Israel's attacks against Iran on February 28.

It has since accused the UAE and other American allies in the Gulf of allowing the US to carry out attacks from their territory.

At the same time, the UAE has denied Iranian claims that it has actively carried out attacks of its own.

The US and Iran agreed a ceasefire in April, but sporadic exchanges of fire have continued.

Share𝕏f
News17 is committed to delivering accurate, fair, and thoroughly researched reporting. If you believe this article contains an error, please contact our editorial team at corrections@news17.net. We take all reports seriously and will issue corrections promptly when warranted.